Neil is a partner at McKasson & Klein LLP in Irvine, California, a boutique law firm established in 1998, near the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles.
Neil is a litigator and a transactional lawyer. His practice focuses on international transactions and disputes, maritime, commercial/business and employment matters, licensing, corporate formation and set up. Among others, he represents foreign and US entrepreneurs, manufacturers, suppliers, importers and exporters, vessel owners and charterers, P&I Clubs, container lessors, bunker suppliers, and several US ports.
He handles maritime Rule B, C and D vessel arrests & attachments, bunker claims, charter party disputes, port tariffs, regulatory matters and creditors in maritime bankruptcies. He also advises manufacturers, construction companies and related business interests on offshore wind farm and energy related projects, including US Jones Act compliance.
Neil has been recognized as one of the “Top 5” commercial lawyers in Southern California since 2015, and has been an expert witness on US maritime and California commercial law issues in China, England and the Bahamas. He also acts as an arbitrator in shipping disputes. He grew up in Durban, South Africa and was admitted to the South African Bar before coming to California.
He is a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences, and has published many articles on maritime and international issues and disputes. He is a Proctor member of the Maritime Law Association, and a member of the International Bar Association, Maritime & Transport Law Section.
- University of Natal, Faculty of Law
- B. Proc - 1977
- Business Transactions & Litigation
- Maritime & Transportation
- Employment & Labor Law
- Intellectual Property & Trademarks
- California, 1989
- South Africa, 1984
- Maritime Law Association, Proctor Member
- International Bar Association
- Maritime & Transport + Arbitration Sections
Current Employment Position
- Bunge S.A. v. Pacific Gulf Shipping (Singapore) PTE LTD et al (D. Or.)
- Equitz et al. v. Seaco America, LLC et al. (D. Cal.)
- Stoneville USA, Inc. v. Compacstone USA, Inc. (D. Cal.)
- Francke v. Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. et al (D. FL)
- TMF Trustee Limited v. M/T Megacore Philomena et al (D. Cal.)
- McShane v. NCL (BAHAMAS), LTD. et al (D. FL)
- Campbell v. Logue, Capt. Marquez et al (D. Cal)
- DHL Express (USA), Inc., et al. vs. Aerotradex, Inc., et al. (D. Cal.)
- Krish v. Balasubramaniam (C.D.)
- Trans-Tec v. M/V Harmony Container (D. Cal.)
- “Top 5” commercial lawyers in Southern California